May 27 2014
S. 1283 is a bill that outlaws the purchase, selling, or possession of powdered alcohol. There is a product pending Federal approval called “Palcohol” that is featured in this video.
We’ve been told by the champions of nanny government if and when Palcohol is approved, it will find itself on the shelves all over South Carolina with no regulation. We’re told that children will be snorting, eating and drinking this stuff. I appreciate the public safety intentions of this legislation, however, I see this bill as a solution in search of a problem. I also don’t have the knee-jerk reaction that government needs to regulate and tax everything that moves. If it were the role of government to outlaw stupidity, then we’ve got bigger fish to fry.
Here are some claims by the developer of Palcohol’s website:
9. Where will it be sold? Think of Palcohol as liquor….just in powder form. It will be sold anywhere where liquor can be sold and a buyer must be of legal drinking age to buy it. It will be available both in the United States and abroad and it can also be bought online.
10. Can Palcohol be added to food? Beer, wine and spirits are often added to dishes to enhance the flavor. When you add Palcohol to food, you’re not really adding flavor to the dish, just alcohol.
As Palcohol is a new product, we have yet to understand its potential of being added to food. As always, please use it responsibly. Because it adds alcohol to the dish, do not serve the dish to minors.
11. Can I snort it? We have seen comments about goofballs wanting to snort it. Don’t do it! You wouldn’t want to anyway. It would take you approximately 60 minutes of painful snorting to get the equivalent of one shot of vodka up your nose. Why would you do that when drinking a shot of liquid vodka takes about two seconds?
12. When will it be available? We expect it to be for sale this fall. No samples will be released ahead of time.
14. What is the calorie content? Well, it depends on what liquid you add to it. The powder by itself is about 80 calories per bag.